The Government of India has launched the Smart Cities Mission on 25 June 2015. The objective of this mission is to provide urban settlements with core infrastructure and a decent quality of life to its citizens, a clean and sustainable environment through application of Smart Solutions.
Main aim under Smart City project is to drive economic growth and improve the quality of life of people by enabling local area development and harnessing technology, especially technology that leads to smart outcomes. Area-based development will transform existing areas (retrofit and redevelop), including slums, into better planned ones, thereby improving liveability of the whole city. Application of Smart Solutions will enable cities to use technology, information and data to improve urban infrastructure and services. Comprehensive development in this way will improve quality of life, create employment and enhance incomes for all, especially the poor and the disadvantaged, leading to inclusive cities.
Shillong was selected as the 100th Smart City in June 2018.
Overview of Shillong Smart City Limited
Shillong Smart City Limited (CSCL) is a public limited company and was incorporated on 22nd January 2019 under the Companies Act, 2013. The main objective of SSCL is to plan, appraise, approve, release funds, implement, manage, operate, monitor and evaluate the Smart City development projects.
The company is administered through a Board of Directors. There are 14 Directors inclusive of 2 Independent Directors on its Board.
The key functions and responsibilities of the SPV are to:
- Approve and sanction the projects including their technical appraisal.
- Execute the Smart City Proposal with complete operational freedom.
- Take measures to comply with the requirements of MoHUA with respect to the implementation of the Smart Cities programme.
- Mobilize resources within timelines and take measures necessary for the mobilisation of resources.
- Approve and act upon the reports of a third-party review and monitoring agency.
- Overview capacity building activities.
- Develop and benefit from inter-linkages of academic institutions and organizations.
- Ensure timely completion of projects according to set timelines.
- Monitor and review quality control related matters and act upon issues arising thereof.
- Enter into contracts, partnerships and service delivery arrangements as may be required for the implementation of the Smart City Projects.
- Any other functions as delegated by the central government or state government/ ULB within the scope of smart city mission.
I am pleased to report that since its inception Shillong Smart City Ltd has made progress and have successfully awarded the following works.
- Project Management Consultant (PMC)
Project Management Consultants, for assisting SSCL for implementation of Shillong Smart City Projects, have been appointed and have started their operation from 19th September 2019.
- Construction of Polo Commercial Complex
Contractor for Construction of Commercial Complex at Polo, Shillong, has been appointed and have started their operation from November 2019.
- Redevelopment of Laitumkhrah Market
Contractor for Re-development of Laitumkhrah Market, Shillong, has been appointed and have started their operation from September 2019.
The initial funding strategy, proposed at the time of preparation of the Smart Cities proposal, continues to be refined and refreshed. Summarizing, SSCL is now poised to deliver the planned/intended benefits of Shillong Smart City Projects to the residents of Shillong.
Dr. T.V. Krishna Murthy
Chief Executive Officer